HOMEABOUT MERESUMETUTORIALSMY FAVES

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Opposites Really Do Attract Layout


Hello again from a very icy North East. Mother Nature seems to be angry for some reason--it's been a rough winter in my book...can you say Spring?

My latest layout all began with the discovery of one picture--a picture of my husband when he was 12 sporting one very goofy smile! He still has that goofy smile--it's one of the many little things that I loved about him...

When I found this picture of him while helping him organize his boxes & boxes of junk (e-hem--I mean 'valuables' as he puts it) I knew I had to scrap it. But I didn't want to just scrap that one photo...I wanted a then & now of both him & myself & I also wanted to convey how different we are but yet, we were still drawn together.

I'm a full blown city girl. My husband is a hardcore country boy. He grew up surrounded with trees, quietness & all sorts of animals like bears, bull frogs, deer & rabbits. I grew up in the city where I could count the trees in my town on one hand, it was always loud & the only animals I remember seeing growing up were the dogs that people took out for their daily walks! Our up bringing affects us up till now. I'm very loud & you can hear my big mouth miles away. My husband is very quiet & tends to blend into the wall paper! But I think that's why we connected. He tones me down & I add tend to turn his usual quiet life upside down!

I did some distressing & stitching on this page--but what I did the most of was stamping. The entire background you see here was made with stamps & some masking.

I used a couple of metal flowers by Tim Holtz to decorate the corners. You can see some bling peeking out from the tear in my paper.

The flourishes you see all along the border of the layout is a flourish stamp by Tim Holtz.

Here you see a closeup of the masking, stitching, more stamping & the texture of the heart chipboard. I used the leaf glitter with UTEE technique to give the heart this texture. It looks amazing in person! If interested in this technique, feel free to find the tutorial here.

On my husband's side I wanted items that identified with him. So I have a picket fence, a rabbit (to represent nature) & a branch. The branch is actually a Prima felt vine that I covered in Copper Stickles & then with Broken China Distress Stickles. Here you can also see the stamping on the fence & the grass I stamped right below the fence.
On my side I stamped a brick wall background & used a stamp of the city of course what else! The stamp is by Tim Holtz & was perfect for this page.

I finished up the page by adding Star Dust stickles on all the flourishes & on the majority of my stamping. It's something I tend to do on all my pages but you can hardly tell from these pictures.

Hope you all enjoyed this page & that it serves as some proof that opposites really do attract!
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Hola Kay! Wow, qué linda esa historia de la chica citadina y el chico del campo!! Me alegra que se complementen tan bien y tu Lo es sin duda una obra de arte , como tu trabajo!! Besitos, María

    ReplyDelete
  2. HERMOSO, Kay!!! me encantan la foto de ustedes con el corazon y las fotos de cuando eran chicos!! lindos detalles!! vi las noticias y vi que esta bien frio para alla y las carreteras...uuyyyy!! Bueno amiguita, cuidate mucho!
    Cariños!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely layout! Very cute details, love the glittered heart shape, and your photos as kids are so cute =))
    Love the top left corner - metal flowers and some gems peeking out the torn gap are awesome =) One thing that bothers me, how are you going to store this LO?.. metal embellishments can seriously hurt any other project that touches it..
    Anyway, good job! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the close-ups! The details look amazing in the photos. Will have to try that technique one day. Fab layout as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Hola!
    Wow! I love your layout. Esta precioso.
    I'm your new follower.. soy tu nueva seguidora.
    I will add your blog on my blog list.
    Greetings from Puerto Rico
    Sony
    Sonia-Studio60

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Kay, nice to see you visited my gallery. Thank you for your sweet comment on the color experiments, with my flowers. I haven't done much lately so playing around with colors in attempt to get my creativity flowing.
    I sure love this new layout.. Gorgeous you always do very beautiful work! Your butterflies are getting prettier and prettier every time I look!!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thank you for stopping by!